The Next Step Autism Program is the longest standing provider of services for children with autism in the Fraser Valley. Operating since 1990, the Next Step Autism team is devoted to helping children develop skills and overcome obstacles using evidence-based practices.
Motivated by our respect for each child being who they are, our team of behavioural consultants, speech and language therapists, occupational therapists, behavioural interventionists, family support and development consultants are committed to bringing happiness into the lives of children and their families through an integrated approach.
As a centre based program (a branch of the Fraser Valley Child Development Centre), the Next Step Autism team has opportunity and access to a multitude of education, training and resources which they in turn use with your child to develop individualized, inclusive and integrated services.
What we DO!
Our Next Step Autism team works collaboratively with each child and family to address the goals established.
• Provides intake and yearly assessments using an appropriate assessment protocol.
• Provides baseline and yearly assessment using the ABLLS-R (Assessment of Basic Language and Learning Skills Revised) or BLA (Basic Learning Abilities) or VB-MSPP (Verbal Behaviour Milestones Assessment and Placement Program) and others.
• Develops the Individualized Program Plan (IPP)
• Revises and monitors each child’s progress on a monthly (under 6) and bi-monthly (over 6) basis.
• Conducts Functional Behaviour assessments for maladaptive or challenging behaviours.
• Implements specific behaviour protocols to address maladaptive or challenging behaviours.
Speech & Language Therapists helps the child develop communication and social skills. These areas include receptive and expressive language skills, speech sound production, oral motor skills, alternative augmentative communication, social communication, peer interaction and play skills. Contributes to the Individualized Program Plan.
Occupational Therapist addresses areas of self-help skills including toileting, feeding, and dressing. They will also address your child’s gross and fine motor skills and sensory function. Contributes to the Individualized Program Plan.
Senior Behaviour Interventionist provides training to BI’s, review and updates the program binder as per instruction by the Behaviour Consultant, Speech & Language Therapist and Occupational Therapist.
Behavioural Interventionist provides one-to-one intervention with each child, while following the child’s program plan.
Behavioural Interventionist provides 1 to 1 intervention with each child, while following the child's program plan.
MEET our team
Speech and Language Pathologist
Ben Perry and Shelly Gelineau
Crystal Ruschke, SLA
Andrew Greenwood, B.Kin
Sophie Chapman, Dip.CYC
Ben Berkew, B.Kin
JOIN our team
Thanks for including the Next Step Autism Program in your job search. We pride ourselves in our unique positive atmosphere cultivated by an enthusiastic, inspirational, innovative, and super fun group that is diverse in background and talent. We invite you to apply to become a member of our team! Please visit our FVCDC website for career opportunities.